Made for you
With more ways to make Android your own, Android Nougat is our sweetest release yet.
The OS that speaks your languages
Bring your words to life with updated and entirely new emoji, and the ability to use two or more languages at the same time.
- Over 1500 emoji including 72 new ones
- Multi Locale language settings
Be in two places at once
Now you can switch between apps with a double tap, and run two apps side by side. So go ahead and watch a movie while texting, or read a recipe with your timer open.
- Multi-window view
- Quick switch between apps
Experience Android in a new dimension
Vulkan™ API is a game changer with high-performance 3D graphics. On supported devices, see apps spring to life with sharper graphics and eye-candy effects.
Vulkan version of Need for Speed™ No Limits, available on Google Play
Enjoy simple, high quality virtual reality
With VR mode, Android Nougat is ready to transport you to new worlds. Available on Daydream-ready phones.Learn more
Keep on keeping on
with a smarter battery
Doze on the Go
Doze now helps save battery power even when you're on the move. So your device will still go into low power usage while you carry it in your pocket or purse.
Stay in the moment
Android Nougat makes it easier to take action in the moment, with more personalised settings and smarter notifications.
Customised Quick Settings
Rearrange your Quick Setting tiles so you can get to what you want faster.
Notification Direct Reply
Mini conversations within your notifications let you reply on the go – without opening any app.
See what's new at a glance with bundled notifications from apps. Simply tap to expand and view more info without having to open the app.
More ways to make Android yours
Android Nougat opens up more ways for you to personalise your Android device. Decide how your data is used, the way you’re notified and what your display looks like.
Limit how much data your device uses with Data Saver. When Data Saver is turned on, apps in the background won't be able to access mobile data.
When a notification pops up, just press and hold to toggle the settings. For instance, you can silence future alerts from an app in the notification itself.
Not only can you change the size of the text on your device, but the size of the icons and the experience itself.
Security is at the heart
of all that we do
Your safety and privacy are important. As always, Android is built with powerful layers of security and encryption to keep your private data private. With Android Nougat, we’ve also added new features.
On select new devices, software updates download in the background, so you won't have to wait while your device syncs with the latest security tools.
By encrypting at the file level, Android can better isolate and protect files for individual users on your device.
Starting your device is faster and apps run securely even before you enter your password.
The New LG V20
The first new smartphone that comes with Android Nougat, straight out of the box. Coming soon.
- JIT compiler: The new JIT compiler improves runtime device performance, reduces the amount of storage space required for apps and makes app and system updates much faster.
- VR mode: With VR mode, Android Nougat is ready to transport you to new worlds. Coming soon with Daydream and Daydream-ready phones.
- Vulkan™ API: Vulkan API is a real game changer with high-performance 3D graphics. See apps spring to life with sharper graphics and eye candy effects.
- Doze: Doze is now dozier, with your device going into lower power usage when you’re on the move. That means your Android device will conserve battery even when it’s jostling around in your pocket.
- Data saver: Limit how much data your device uses with Data Saver. When Data Saver is turned on, apps in the background won't be able to access mobile data.
- Split-screen mode: Now you can multitask with ease. Run two apps side by side in split-screen mode – watch a movie while texting, or read a recipe with your timer open.
- Picture-in-picture mode: On Android TV, you can continue watching your current video while browsing or changing settings.
- Quick switch: Double tap the Overview button to switch between your two most recently used apps.
- Bundled notifications: See what’s new at a glance with bundled notifications from individual apps. Simply tap to view each alert.
- Direct reply: Direct reply lets you quickly reply to a message, directly from within the notification shade. So, you no longer need to launch the app to send a quick response.
- Notification controls: When a notification pops up, just press and hold to toggle the settings. For instance, you can silence future alerts from an app in the notification itself.
- Customisable Quick Settings: Rearrange your Quick Setting tiles so you can get to what you want faster.
- Quick Settings bar: Quick Settings has been redesigned so you can get faster access to top Quick Settings tiles directly in the notification shade.
- Improved Settings navigation: Find the right setting faster with an updated navigation menu in Settings.
- Settings suggestions: Within Settings, get suggestions for how to get even more out of your device.
- 'Clear all' in Overview: Instantly close all of your apps running in the background by tapping 'clear all' in Overview.
- Emergency information: Emergency Information lets you add information such as name, blood type, allergies and an emergency contact so that emergency responders can view this information through your device's lock screen.
- Lockscreen wallpaper: You can now have different wallpapers on your device's homescreen and lockscreen.
- Unicode 9 emoji: Bring your words to life with all-new emoji, including redesigned human emoji with multiple skin tones.
- Direct boot: When restarting your device, Direct Boot helps it start up faster and ensures that important communications still run. So before you even put in your password, you'll still get that important text message and hear your alarm clock ring.
- Seamless software updates: On select, new devices running Android Nougat, OS updates can download in the background, so you can go on with your day while your device syncs with the latest OS.
- File-based encryption: Building on top of our security platform, Android Nougat introduces file-based encryption. By encrypting at the file level instead of the block level, Android can better isolate and protect files for individual users on your device.
- Scoped folder access: Apps can request access to specific folders that you can allow or deny access to (just like app runtime permissions). This is a reduced-scope version of the Storage permission for Apps that only need access to certain folders. It can also allow Apps to request direct access to removable media (on devices with that hardware).
- Trusted face: Trusted face, a part of Smart Lock, makes unlocking even easier thanks to a new face recogniser. The new recogniser is less sensitive to conditions like lighting, facial decorations (eyewear, facial hair, etc.), and how you hold your phone. Available on select devices.
- Improved system backup coverage: More device settings are covered by Android Backup, including accessibility settings, run-time permissions for apps, Wi-Fi hotspot settings and Wi-Fi network restrictions.
- Multi-locale support: Select multiple locales in Settings to tailor experiences for you, such as showing search results in multiple languages and not offering to translate web pages in a language you already know.
- New languages supported: Coupled with allowing you to select multiple languages preferences, Android Nougat allows you to select from 100 new languages and 25 locales for commonly used languages such as English, Spanish, French and Arabic. This enables Apps to better support and understand your language preferences, even if your devices lacks official support for it.
- New language preferences: Sort your language preferences so that apps can pick the right keyboard & text for you.
- Accessibility settings in setup: it’s easier than ever before for you to discover and configure accessibility features on your new device. Set magnification gesture, font size, display size and TalkBack, straight out of the box.
- Display size: Not only can you change the size of the text on your device, but the size of all the display elements like icons and images.
- Accessibility mono output: Accessibility mono output assists users with hearing loss in one ear by combining stereo left- and right-channel output to a single mono stream.
- Variable text-to-speech speed: Variable text-to-speech speed increases productivity of text-to-speech users by allowing setting wider range for speech speed and pitches.
- Work mode: Work mode allows you to turn on and off your device's work apps and notifications for a better work-life balance.