Android is for everyone
Android’s open platform helps people around the globe enjoy greater access to more information and opportunity than ever before.See how Android makes a difference
The Android platform enables device makers to compete and innovate. App developers can reach huge audiences and build strong businesses. Consumers now have unprecedented choice in devices, at ever-lower prices.
More technology for more people in more places
Anyone can download, customize, and distribute the Android source code at no cost. This lets manufacturers build mobile devices at lower costs, giving people around the globe access to mobile technology that was previously out of reach.Learn more
The freedom to choose
Android’s open-source model encourages innovation by giving device makers the freedom to customize their phones and the Android OS, as well as preinstall any apps they choose. So consumers get more choices when it comes to devices and apps.Learn more
A catalyst for economic growth
By 2020, the mobile ecosystem is expected to employ some 15 million people globallyGSMA - Global Mobile Economy Report - 2015 (page 3). Android will fuel this progress by helping developers and manufacturers create even more jobs around the world.Learn more
Powering universal access to information
Whether by producing affordable devices for emerging markets, or providing access to thousands of educational and health apps, Android helps more people access information and opportunity than any other mobile platform.See how Android makes a difference
Get the facts
Discover how Android brings accessibility, opportunity, and competition to the mobile market.See all the facts
By being an open-source platform, Android’s source code is available for anyone to view, download, modify, enhance, and redistribute without requiring any sort of fees, royalties, or other costs. This is the opposite of closed source/proprietary software which never makes its source code public and strictly prohibits any modification.
No one is required to pre-install Google’s suite of proprietary apps to access, use, or distribute the Android operating system.
Among 2016 flagship phones in the UK, Germany, and France, only 29% of pre-installed apps are from Google. The remaining 71% are from device makers, mobile operators, and other companies, like Facebook, Spotify, Box, and MicrosoftThe Digital Reader - How to Download and Install Apps from Google Play for Your Fire Tablet - October 2015.
Device makers and mobile operators often preload other app stores onto their phones in addition to Google Play, such as Samsung’s Galaxy Apps store or Xiaomi’s MiMarket.