Easily transfer text messages to your new Android phone.
Android makes it easy to transfer text messages to your new phone. In just a few simple steps, you can set up your new Android phone and copy messages and other data from your iPhone.
- Turn on your new Android phone.
- When prompted, connect your new Android phone to your iPhone using a lightning to USB-C cable. If you have an older iPhone, you may need a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Note that messages, apps, and other select data can only be transferred by cable and not via Wi-Fi.
- Follow the instructions and choose the data you want to copy to your new Android, including SMS, MMS, and iMessage text messages. You won’t be able to repeat this step after you finish setup, so choose everything you want to transfer.
- Disable iMessage on your old iPhone.
If some text messages appear missing after transfer, it might mean that you have a lot of data that needs to be processed by the system. Don't worry. It should show up after some time. If it doesn't or you experience errors, rest assured that your old iPhone still holds a copy of your data just in case you need to try again.
And that’s it. It’s really that simple. In just a matter of minutes, you can transfer your text messages—and the memories they carry—from an iPhone to your new Android phone.
Transfer WhatsApp chats from iPhone to Android.
When you copy text messages to your new Android phone, you can also transfer your WhatsApp chats in the same swoop. If you choose to copy apps and data from an iPhone to your Android during the transfer phase, WhatsApp will be included. This will also allow you to transfer apps like Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, and Discord.
Transferring WhatsApp from iPhone to Android includes individual and group chats as well as your chat history. Android will also migrate your account information, profile photo, media, and settings. The only data you won’t be able to copy to your new phone are peer-to-peer payment messages, call history, and statuses.
Follow these steps to transfer your WhatsApp chat history from an iPhone to your new Android device.*
- Choose to copy apps and data.
- Connect both phones using a Lightning to USB-C cable when prompted. Select Trust if a warning appears on your iPhone.
- Sign into your Google Account on your Android.
- Select apps along with any other data you want to transfer at the copy screen.
- Keep your iPhone unlocked during the transfer process.
- When prompted, use your iPhone camera to scan the QR code displayed on your Android. Export data to your Android in WhatsApp iOS.
- Disconnect both phones when the transfer is complete.
- Open WhatsApp on your Android phone and sign in.
*If you’re transferring WhatsApp to a new Samsung phone, you’ll use Samsung Smart Switch to complete the process. When the QR code appears on your new Android, scan it using your iPhone camera. Tap Start on your iPhone, and the process will proceed. Once setup is complete, open WhatsApp on your new Samsung Android and log in. Tap Import and let the process complete.
Do more with Messages by Google.
Now that you’ve transferred your text messages from your iPhone to your new Android, keep the conversation going. Messages by Google helps you stay close and do more with the people you care about most.
Texting a friend and making dinner plans? Smart Reply and Smart Actions live up to their names. Smart Reply lets you respond quickly with pre-written replies like “Yes” or “Sounds good” with just one tap. Smart Actions help you put together a memorable night out, allowing you to share your location, put plans on your calendar, and more.
And Messages by Google is innovating new ways to help you get more out of your conversations. Magic Compose—an experimental feature for Google One subscribers with Pixel or Samsung phones—uses generative AI to add an extra spark of personality to your conversations. It can suggest longer and more personalized responses based on the context of the conversation, and can transform what you write into different styles and tones, like Chill, Excited, Shakespeare, and more.
Boost your conversations with RCS messaging.
Messages by Google is powered by Rich Communication Services (RCS), the modern industry standard for messaging that makes it easier to stay connected with your Android friends. Messages by Google and RCS lets you:
- Share high-quality photos and videos.
- See when others are typing in the chat.
- Get read receipts.
- Send messages over Wi-Fi.
Plus, you can share emoji reactions with your friends—no matter what kind of phone they use.**
Stay connected across Android devices.
Messages by Google also allows you to seamlessly move the conversation along across supported Android devices. You can send and receive messages on your Android phone, tablet, watch, and Chromebook. And you can even text using your computer browser.
Keep your conversations safe.
Your RCS texting conversations are secure with end-to-end encryption, which means they're private between you and whoever you're messaging. And with real-time spam protection, Messages helps you stay safe and avoid distractions. So that you can focus on connecting with your friends and family.
Make the switch to Android and experience the benefits of Messages by Google.
You won’t have to say goodbye to important memories when you say hello to Android. By making it easy to transfer SMS, MMS, and iMessage text and media messages, WhatsApp chats, contacts, and more, it’s easier to make the switch from an iPhone to a new Android phone. And when you experience the difference that Messages by Google can make, you’ll be glad you did.
*Internet connection required.
**In supported conversations when RCS chats are available and turned on.